The bestselling author of The First 90 Days: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels, which has become the business bible for accelerating leaders’ transitions into new roles, now zeroes in on the most critical skill that transitioning leaders must master in order to create momentum and secure early wins. That skill? Negotiation.
In Shaping the Game: The New Leader’s Guide to Effective Negotiating, Watkins draws from extensive research and practical consulting work to reveal four fundamental objectives that should guide new leaders in their negotiations with key constituencies inside and outside their organizations. This audio book provides potent guidelines for:
- Creating maximum value in negotiation with critical stakeholders
- Capturing a fair share of that value
- Building relationships
- Preserving one’s reputation
Watkins also presents hands-on strategies that help any new leader become a world-class negotiator, including:
- Matching one’s negotiation strategy to the situation
- Influencing key counterparts’ viewpoints
- Shaping the structure of negotiations in one’s favor
- Organizing to improve
Navigating the myriad high-stakes negotiating challenges that confront new leaders, Shaping the Game provides all the tools the listener needs to make the right moves as s/he climbs the career ladder—and to succeed in those roles once s/he gets there.